AW: AW: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: AW: LF: VLF_8.79 kHz
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:05:37 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Alan,

Well, i expect the oxide film losses of the foil should be neglectible,
compared to the ground losses. And one has the advantege to reach a high C that
is easy to adjust/modify and cheep and that has no overvoltage and heating
problems. Aren't the radials of a LF vertical not almost the same, in
principal? I mean, one electrode of a HV capacitor with a lossy dielectricum?
;-)

Using a HV capacitor or coax cable is also a good choice, of course, but it may
be difficult to get proper C at those voltages. And if we are talking about
connecting the end of a inv L antenna to ground (here: soil) the next question
is: Where do you connect the second electrode of your C? A coax, say RG213 may
be connected to the antenna wire with the inner line. But where do you connect
the screen? Bringing it back to the shack and connecting to ground would mean
not to use the soil as the conductor any more and throwing the coax just on the
bottom would be nonsense since then, one could just take a standard wire which
is principally almost the same like aluminium foil. Using such a simple wire
would mean to require 100s of m of cable to get the same C. And in such a
configuration a high C to ground is essential since one wants to have a
practicable small L for resonance (to handle the losses).

Therefore i had the idea just to try a real loop that needs just a high C with
less voltage (probably <1kV).
If we assume a inv L of 10m hight and 50m horizontal section and make a
rectangular loop out of it, the XL will be in the region of 15 Ohm (?). Then a
C of abt 1µF will resonate the loop. Applying 100W and assuming 2 Ohm losses
will produce abt 7A and a voltage of 750V above the C, no problem to find such
a C :-) Starting with a closed loop is much easier since no L and maybe even no
R transformation is necessary. And with a horizontal section of <50m, the
increased loop area when using the ground/soil may be not really much more, but
with the disadvantage to need a L with a high R and/or less Q...

Markus/DF6NM has also good ideas but i do not want to tell his ideas. Markus?
Go on! ;-)

Stefan/DK7FC