LF: RE: active ant on metallic mast

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: active ant on metallic mast
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:46:05 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Stefan,Roelof,

for about 4 years now I am using an active whip with good results.The antenna is placed on a shed about 10 m from the house.I varied the height between 2 m and 9 m.With a height of 2 m(the roof) I had alot of qrm and a low output,raising it to 5m or higher improved things a lot.Less qrm and higher output,to prevent im i decreased the size of the whip from 1m to 60 cm.At a height of 7m this gives the besr results.no detectable im from local mw stations and a good S/N ratio of weak signals.As an experiment I replaced the steel pole for a glassfibre one,this didn't change any thing.This could be espected because of the coax cable you are always at the same potential as with a steel pole.Ofcourse  using a battery and a glassfibre changes things but for me this is not very practical because my whip draws 120mA @ 28V.
Hope to hear more from your experiments,

73
Victor
PA3FNY