LF: Re: Results of optimising an active antenna

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Results of optimising an active antenna
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:47:09 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=CGBgWjOTzL2EknArgWMRnuddu84/GRj8vfZJ8O6U3n2rz/ZsBwlpIeoynO0nocwiKU7ZGbN++IqIkZOu3rrbZEp+1m/pwmJGzPkaxxqzsLFwkfgNDohx6ggCE/2rnW32Rxq5xW9xZR/ToZkkfNO5njBmgAU+H3IWZL0FxtgAKkA= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Stephan, well if you look at Roelof 'PA0RDTs "MiniWhip" you will find the
"whip" is  about 4 square cms area of copper pcb material. The thing you
muct be careful about is where you put your "ground" reference. The usual
method is to run a wire vertically down to ground brlow the "whip". The
volatge "collected" by the e-probe is proportional to its "height" so you
might say you are sampling two points on the incoming wave and the farther
apart you sample the bigger induced voltage you get. The difficult ting if
you are in a high noise area is to stop the coax feeder braid from piching
up the noise and injecting it into the whip "amplifier" (really and
impedance converter.)

For instance Laurence KL1X has had these on top of tower blocks, but has
found the best low noise ground reference is the frame of the balcony doors,
these presumably are connected to the reinforcing material in the structuse
and that seems to suppress noise generated inside the block rom the likes of
TV and lift motors. They dont work for everybody because it very much
depends on your noise source and how far away it is. There certainly is not
much advantage in having a long whip or wire on these antennas, but
increased height will improve the picked up signal strength. It may be with
a shorter wire there is less coupling to the feeder coax. If you can reject
the noise from there you could increase the height and get better S/N on
signals. Every location is different!!.

Good experiment....keep trying !! you will be amazed what can be a achieved
once you conquor the locally generated stuff.

Alan G3NYK