Re: LF: Re: Tree noise

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Tree noise
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:09:08 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Mike,

I am a bit sceptic about "bio-electric noise".
If a tree turns out to be a noise source I might be more likely that it acts as a (very poor) antenna that picks up signals and re-radiates them. My major trouble with trees is that they increase losses if they are close to the transmitting antenna. I can confirm that losses drop considerable if the temperature goes down. My 500kHz antenna is surrounded by many hundreds of trees, resulting in a loss resistance of 30 Ohm in winter and 70 Ohm in early summer (now - mid august - it has dropped to 60 Ohm). But I have a very low noise level, mainly due to the fact that apart from my own house all other QRM sources are at least 70m away. The real QRM culprits such as street lights and overland power lines are 150m (first street light) up to 250m (first overland power line) away.

73, Rik  ON7YD
Quoting Mike Underhill <[email protected]>:

Dennis (DL6NVC)
Please could you try your loop away from the tree.  Preferably more than 2
metres.  I have found severe bio-electric(?) noise from trees from 3.5 to
500MHz.using loops, whips and UHF Yagis.  The noise drops to almost zero if
the tree ambient temperature is below about zero Celsius.
Mike - G3LHZ