Re: LF: Re: Re: Tree noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Re: Tree noise
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 23:18:55 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

mal hamilton wrote:
Like I have said in the past several times I am surprised how many LF/MF operators have loops strung from tree branches and in amongst trees and claim they are perfect, especially those in the USA. Most of the rf is being absorbed by the trees, perhaps a little escapes. Compared to loops little and large sited out in the clear they are poor performers at LF/MF Serious LF/MF operators should look for a QTH out in the clear avoiding serious obstacles like trees and close in buildings. Why struggle to reinvent the wheel when one has options like CABLE, MOBILE PHONES AND THE INTERNET to surf and chase LL DX.

The antennas at G3AQC were supported by the numerous trees around his QTH - not an antenna mast in sight; although he was only a 100m away from a muddy estuary at Bosham. As he put out the strongest signal on LF it might be a case of what is in the ground is perhaps more important as to what is in the air.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO