Re: LF: Re: Tree noise

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Tree noise
From: "Mike Underhill" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:24:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Dennis and Dave
Evidence so far:
1. Experiments in loading 50 foot (15m) evergreen fir tree for operation on 3.7MHz. 1.5metre diameter tuned loop and novel (G3LHZ) tuned coiled hairpin tried as tree exciters. Both were tried horizontally around the tree and vertically edge on and a few cms away from the tree. It was a warm summer dayin the afternnoon, about 25C. In both cases the noise was about S7 on my FT897. The antenna bandwidths were approximately doubled as a consequence of coupled tree loss. Only one incomplete QSO was made with about 80 watts SSB. The loop was then placed horizontal on top of dry grassed clay soil about 10 metres away from any trees. The bandwidth again was about doubled over the free space value. That is about the same as the coupled tree loss. The surprise was that the coupled ground loss was not noisy. Less than S2 on the 897. No QSOs were attempted on the loop in this position. With the loop vertical and about 1metre above ground several satisfactory QSOs were made. Roadside 230v power lines wre more than 50m away for all these tests. Loaded trees are both lossy and noisy. Keep away from them. 2. In February 2008 in Port Douglas in Queensland (VK) using a Sony ICF SW100 with extended whip to couple into a palm tree in a hotel courtyard. On 14MHz no readible signals on account of high noise level. But coupled to metal gate of the swimming pool area (at about a fifth of the height of the palm tree), the noise was much lower. Several JAs and Pacific stations were heard. 3. Freeview digital TV has a marginal SNR on one of the two Crystal Palace clusters at this QTH. There are deciduous trees at about 30m distance and a bit higher than the TV antenna. No satisfactory copy is obtained until the outside temperature is a couple of degrees below zero. This is not apparently correlated with 'lift' condtions. And it has been observed on many cold nights and days. Now I put this down to bio-electric noise probably associated with the pumping of the sap to the top of the trees. This process appears to close down at low temperatures.

When I get time I will measure noise at 500kHz. Probably with a multi- turn tuned loop.

But it does look as if you have power line noise problems anyway. In general I do not.

73 - Mike - G3LHZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis" <[email protected]>