Re: LF: E field active antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: E field active antennas
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 20:20:00 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=5oszBRLnw9wqrC7fA0TTCxT9QYmr5QSrVVGDfgvsM6Y=; b=VBrwgLju/F3VBmutNn6zbboXvP4eEmLWHyDZFXp/v+uP8ETigUArBimRMB6tyIT0mL u9s64Yp/rjc3bmMa453uk2a9GAoK2lmiif/ApYLEWUQ6clFochyCxcGUHggBy5hD1ekA 2PXloVN+pObf1RWrTAsc/+VZgCzig6lCKEscU=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Peter et group.   Sounds an interesting antenna, but for full band
Rx coverage I can't see what a folded resistively loaded dipole has to
offer over the conventional short whip into a high impedance voltage
follower other than strong signal handling, which isn't an issue at
our new operational site.

The commercial antenna we have on order uses a similar design to many
of the amateur designs that have appeared over the years, it is just
better made mechanically. My home made one will just have to survive
on site until it arrives. There really are only a few ways to design
such an antenna, and most work as well as each other - although some
will overload with only modest local strong signals.

The old Naval one it replaces  - and yes, Mal, the Navy use broadband
active whips for HF receive - was a cumbersome heavy mains-powered
thing dating back many decades that used  valves: three in parallel
arranged as a high IP3 cathode follower to cope with adjacent 1kW
transmitters.  Their latest design, I believe, uses power Mosfets to
obtain the same performance.

Andy  G4JNT
www.scrbg.org/g4jnt