LF: Re: Re: Why WSPR when you can SHOUT!

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Why WSPR when you can SHOUT!
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 22:30:10 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Tilley" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:17 PM
Subject: LF: Re: Why WSPR when you can SHOUT!

Please explain to me what WSPR is able to do that CW cannot do. Under fade conditions last night the wspr signal was not printing, in spite of the fact that the traces were visible. Had this basic carrier been keyed on/off in cw mode it would have been perfectly readable. Only when the signal peaked strongly did it print out. So wspr is not a substitute for cw under poor propagation conditions where there is a lot of fade. Also accurate frequency and timing is another hurdle in wspr mode but not so in CW. You agree the mode is not satisfactory under fade conditions so what are its advantages, none as far as I can make out. For a new mode to be successful it must have advantages and be an improvement over what it is supposed to replacing. Please stick to the discussion in hand and not go off at a tangent or be abusive because you disagree with another persons point of view. In this debate I am merely pointing out what I am able to observe when watching a WSPR transmission and compare it with a similar CW transmission. I am not concerned about who invented or discovered the system nor get involved in personalities. My remit is to discuss the merits or otherwise of the suitability of WSPR for use in the MF band versus other modes.
G3KEV

I have no issues with CW as a mode and periodically enjoy using it
myself, it is just one FUN aspect of the hobby.

The key to understanding is that all of these modes are tailor made for
specific bands and operating conditions and operational purposes.  Hence
the recent 'experiments' on 600m with WSPR.  In my opinion, what you may
be noticing is the need for an adjustment in the mode's characteristics
to deal with long duration fading on the MF and LF bands. As I observed
similar results on Jay's signal the other night.

73 Scott
VE7TIL

mal hamilton wrote:

The software package that I am using states VHF/UHF and this includes
WSPR mode WSJT 7.02
As a professional Radio Office for a life time I have used every
communications mode that has ever existed over the past 50 years.
You must have missed this info in recent emails. I make the point
again that CW has not been bettered in the radio amateur context for
exchanging short messages, reports etc in a poor signalling environment.
Most of the current modes are reinvented or alterations to what has
gone before and taking advantage of modern sound cards and appliance
operated computers. One difference now is that there is less operator
involvement the PC does all the work and often unattended.
These methods are not amateur radio but appliance operator systems
like internet exchanges, mobile phones etc.
There will be no amateur radio in another 50 years, keep your ears to
the ground so many others are saying the same thing.
If you need any advice or help with any system old or new just ask and
I will be delighted to help.
G3KEV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Tilley" <[email protected]>