Re: LF: wspr

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: wspr
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:28:50 -0000
Sender: [email protected]

I did not ask a question about filtering !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What I said was why use SSB mode which is 3 khz wide for a 6hz/200 hz wide signal when one could take advantage of the receiver narrow CW filter, and of course this is filtered further by manipulation of the soundcard by software. This is old hat technology and not new. WSPR was engineered for VHF/UHF with plenty of frequency spectrum available and not MF/LF squeezed into a 3 khz slot along with other more robust modes I am not opposed to any particular transmisson MODE but merely pointing out that the advantage claimed by some for WSPR is not justified in some cases and my recent observations indicate that I could have read the transmitted signal had it been ON/OFF CW, instead I had to wait ages for the signal to improve before text printed. This was the case last night with WE2XGR where the 2 minute interval trace was good enough to be read in on/off mode CW but not strong enough to print most of the time due to slow fade(QSB) I might even research WSPR further for comparison purposes but I cannot imagine that I will get a print out first before I see a trace.

G3KEV

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Tilley" <[email protected]>