LF: WSPR

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: WSPR
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 09:44:44 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Having used practically every mode both as a radio amateur and commercial operator morse code (CW) is the most effective method for a radio amateur where only a minimum amount of information is exchanged.
I decided last night to check out the WSPR transmissions and was able  to see clearly Jay's 2 minute interval traces long before it strong enough to decode to text.
If the traces had been keyed on/off as in CW or the slower QRS 3 mode I could have read the information directly off the screen and not have to wait ages for a text decode, therefore  I see no advantage with this mode.
Regarding bandwidth it is misleading to say that it uses only 6 hz bandwidth, the WSPR mode is designed to simultaneously accommadate X number of 6hz bandwidth transmissionns in a 200 hz bandwidth therefore if there is adjacent QRM near or overlapping this transmission it is self evident that it will corrupt some of the individual 6 hz data streams.
For interest I still have a KAM and PK232 data mode boxes plus a box full of software for soundcard use for all the current data modes.
Morse Code(CW, WT) call it what you like is still the most effective method for radio amateur communications, and the slower versions are ideal for weak signal propagation investigations.
Of course WSPR was designed for VHF/UHF purposes where it is probably more suited and not on MF/LF in a crowded 3 khz slot where it is more likely to suffer from QRM from other more robust modes.
For those that derive enjoyment in the data world carry on and have fun.
 G3KEV