Re: LF: satellites

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: satellites
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:21:54 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

I suspect, Nigel, that "modern" RADCOM reflects "modern" amateur radio in many respects. Whilst acknowledging that the magazine/journal would probably not exist without its advertising, that very advertising is a reflection of what amateur radio is to many of its present day adherents - "appliance operating"! In such an atmosphere and coupled with a younger generation who do not even get a basic grounding in simple workshop techniques and practice is it surprising that the glorious days of articles of quality in home construction no longer appear to suit us "longer-in-the-tooth" types? Modern housing probably also contributes as it provides little room for a space in which to indulge a little messy chassis-bashing and the smoke detectors widely-fitted tend not to be too sympathetic to solder fumes emanating from the cupboard under the stairs. I know a number of local amateurs who have never constructed anything and are probably never likely to do so, preferring to invest their time operating expensive boxes and comparing notes about whose is biggest etc. One in particular was so desperate to work the Antipodes that he just kept on spending until he managed it. It might be that the "amateur radio industry" finds it a profitable strategy to discourage home construction but then again I might be accused by some of cynicism.

73 de Pat g4gvw
QTH Near FELIXSTOWE, UK

Thought for today:

In the race of life p
ut a few quid on the nag called "Self-Interest" - He'll always be in there trying hard !