Re: LF: satellites

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: satellites
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:14:28 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

John W Gould wrote:
To me the important point that I tried to make in my posting, which has
drawn no comment, is the one I made about getting people to write up their
experimental work for publication, and specifically that concerning 500kHz.
To maintain progress on gaining a long-term allocation around 500kHz we will
need to raise the profile nationally and internationally of work undertaken
on 500kHz.  One way of doing this is to get a few good technical articles
written, not just sharing knowledge but encouraging others and providing
suitable designs to enable them to join in; good construction articles can
do just that.
I had considered describing the problem and the solution of using an existing HF antenna, such as a quad or any other wire beam antenna, on 500kHz. My main reason for not doing so was that I thought that it would be regarded as too 'amateurish' even though my HF quad worked very well as a 500kHz antenna, with the appropriate loading and matching arrangements. Furthermore, my 500kHz transmitter is just a valve transmitter using the power supply and components of a defunked homebrew linear amplifier, which can hardly be described as 'experimental work'. I understand 'experimental work' to be the use of 'state of the art' RF amplifiers and the use of special modes - something I have not yet done.

Regards

Peter, G3LDO