Re: LF: CW Skimmer

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CW Skimmer
From: David Towers <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:38:29 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

mal wrote:

> The average radio amateur today is an appliance operator and probably
> never heard about morse code or a soldering iron. Avoid them both!!
> G3KEV

Hi Mal
how can you know when to avoid a licenced radio amateur, how do you describe "average"?
You do not "see" them but only have a call-sign to go by.
What are your terms of reference to make such a statement?

Many of us suffered strokes or worse during our amateur career and thus became unable to remember and use CW well enough to "pass a test", and thus were barred from the HF bands.

Fortunately this has been corrected and we "so called" Class B licencees could enjoy a taste of the HF bands denied to us, not because of lack of ability but due to impairments. Despite being visually impaired now from stroke induced brain damage, I can still use a soldering iron and construct-takes more time and more care, but I get there!

CW retention and use is no longer a possibility though!

I operate without causing interference to others and know how to and am able to construct and repair test equipment and modern transceivers.

Does this make me a leper in your eyes?

It matters not to me whether you Mal, or your ilk, avoids me when I eventually get onto LF bands, but I would welcome a more understanding attitude from you/them, and less bigoted comments concerning those not blessed with your/their abilities. Perhaps some died in the wool CW operators should look outside of their box before using voice or keyboard and passing judgement!
dave
G8SZX  Glenfield Leicester IO92jp
webpage
www.g8szx.mediumwaveradio.org