Re: LF: CW Skimmer

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CW Skimmer
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:02:51 EST
Sender: [email protected]
Hi John,

Yes I did varnish them because that was what the rather ancient "Boy's Book Of something or other....." instructed ! A lot of experiments seemed to involve shellac which, at that age, I thought had some special electrical properties I did learn later that it was probably a waste of time because I then discovered a wonderful little firm called REPANCO who could sell me some beautifully wound coils that used something called "Litz" wire and put most of my efforts to wind the "ultimate crystal set coil" to shame!
 My first "amplifier" was constructed by replacing the steel diaphragm of a headphone earpiece with a "Golden Syrup" can (empty of course). I later discovered that such an arrangement could also produce a very selective CW filter - style and size of can being carefully selected. Pity beer cans are made from aluminium and have concave bottoms! Rather limits their contribution to "home brew" :))
Happy days

73 de Pat G4GVW es gd dx
Qth near Felixstowe, UK