Re: LF: CW Skimmer

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CW Skimmer
From: Steve Dove <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:55:58 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi John,

Something like this has already been done, about 20 or so years ago. The creator's call escapes me for now, but he's a well-known West Coast contester:

It was a Z-80 (I think) based micro which nudged transceiver tuning, decoded CW, looked for 'CQs', parsed callsigns and such, then called, waited for a report, then sent a reply report. Admittedly it was 'tuned' for the format of the domestic ARRL CW 'Sweepstakes' contest, rather than general random QSOs, but he let the thing loose over the 48-hour event, and it apparently didn't place too badly in the results . . .

Yes, it (and any newer implementation) depends on most CW being machine generated (or at least tidied up with a keyer) and a formulaic QSO environment, but isn't that pretty much what prevails anyway?

The 'Turing Test' stuff is Plan B.

        Cheers,

                Steve

John RABSON wrote:
This gives me an idea. If you combine this program with something to choose which station you wish to work, then link this into your transmitter and leave the whole thing running overnight, you can come back in the morning and see what DX you have worked. Signal reports would be no problem as everybody seems to give a report of 599 anyway.
I would have liked this as a final year artificial intelligence student
project, but that was long ago.

John, F5VLF