LF: G3LDO 500kHz rig

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: G3LDO 500kHz rig
From: Peter Dodd <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:10:42 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hello LFers,

This is a short description of my 500kHz transmitter and antenna.
The driver comprises a DDS3 Hands direct digital synthesiser, which came in the form of a kit. I bought this some time ago as a driver for 73 and 136kHz and has now been reprogrammed for the 500kHz band. The transmitter uses a PL519 TV sweep tube (valve) with 380v on the plate (anode). This is driven by a metal 1632, which is a 12v heater version of a 6L6. The design of the transmitter is derived from my junk box and provided me with some nostalgic pleasure. The antenna comprises a HF quad. The quad and its feeder is used as a short vertical with a capacity hat and is resonated with a variometer and matched with a ferrite multi tapped transformer located in the garden shed at the bottom of the garden.
The antenna has a calculated gain of around -20dBi.

The DDS3 is programmed using DOS via the printer port. In the meantime all my computers have moved on and the only DOS computer I have left is an AcerNote 760iC laptop, which I still use for QRSS keying. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to talk the DDS3 via the printer port. Did some old laptops use different pinouts compared with standard printer ports?

regards

Peter G3LDO