LF: Antenna Tuning

To: "LF \(RSGB\)" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Antenna Tuning
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 17:41:25 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Mike and All,

The reason the tower has been bonded to ground is that the tower supports HF antennas as well. The feed lines, rotor cable, and remote antenna relay control cable would need to be decoupled at LF which I am unfamiliar with accomplishing. My attempt to decouple was to put the feedline out at 4 feet from the tower. I do not want to get too far from the tower, because my ground system is tied to two 10 foot ground rods at the tower base. These ground rods are required by local electrical code for grounding the tower. If I unground the tower for LF, I have to find a way to connect the rods but have them decoupled at LF.

Yesterday, to make sure that the HF wire antennas were not part of the problem, I took them all down. The only antenna left on the tower is a small A4 tribander. When this was done, it made no difference at all on the LF tuning.

Does anyone know how far out from the tower will be the best distance for a 100 foot vertical riser of 1/2 inch coaxial cable? Would I be better off by making the vertical riser a single #11 wire instead of the coaxial cable?

Mike, you said that this may not be the problem at all, because you had done a similar installation without these problems. What is different about your installation?

Anyone who has been following, please brainstorm and think of any possibility which I should be looking for. Because I get confused, I could have made just about any kind of mistake imaginable in the construction of the antenna, but whatever it is, that antenna sure works on receive!

I will be leaving for Edmonton for neuropsychological testing related to early Alzheimer's on July 9 and will be back on July 12. Please think about the antenna problems. I hope that someone can find the little fox in my antenna vineyard.

J.