LF: TUNED!

To: <[email protected]>, "Scott Tilley" <[email protected]>, "Steve McDonald" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: TUNED!
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:21:26 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Steve, Scott, Jim, Dave, and All,

Thank you very much for your help. The antenna is tuned and now the traces look like the ones on the dummyload.

It ended up with very little inductance, per suggestion from the group and with the isolation transformer Scott suggested, but made with a bifilar transformer wound on that 10-3/4 inch form because the TV Horizontal transformer cause a phase shift for some reason.

Also, no matter what I did with Variometer connections, the inductance was too high. I ended up using the taps at the bottom and about 1/2 of the single bottom winding. Without any variometer action, it hit right on 137760!

Without the isolation transformer, everytime I came to resonance the voltage waveform was awful, and I could not recognize resonance. With the transformer, resonance is a beautiful set. When I get a digital camera, I can send it to Steve or Scott.

I plan to solder all the connections another time. I am tired of working out there in the mosquitoes.

Scott,

Do you have time tonight to try with VY1JA on about 100 Watts?

See you all next winter.