Re: LF: Re: Antenna Tuning

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Antenna Tuning
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 00:37:20 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Or even describe how you are testing for resonance.

I am worried you are taking into consideration all the "what ifs"  that have
been raised, many of which are 2nd order effects and really you need to keep
it all as simple as possible at this stage. You obviously have too much
inductance (for 136) and need to reduce that considerably first.

I reckon you still have about twice too much inductance (30% too many turns)
and dont forget if you are anywhere near a Loran-C chain you will receive a
massive signal at 100kHz. That could make the waveform look a little odd.

Actually you ought to be able to tune the wire by just putting the variable
inductor in series between the wire and the RX and varying the the inductor
for maximum received noise. ( This is how my rx Marconi is run.) Then adjust
the inductor and work it up to 136KHz. I think also that this is best done
at the antenna feed point not at then end of 250feet of coax. The matching
and tapping, or transformer, if really necessary, can then come later. I am
afraid I look at extra components like transformers as sources of extra
loss. They shouldnt be necessary and you ought to be able to do it with a
tap or a link coil on the loading coil. .

Cheers de Alan G3NYK