LF: Re: BBC 198kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: BBC 198kHz
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:45:43 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Well I havent calibrated my local ovened rock for a while so it may be a few
parts in 10^10 out but  I make R4 accurate to a least 1 part in 10^8.
Despite sunset effects here the phase creep with my local standard, which
has very good short term stability is better than a few parts in 10^9.....it
need to data log it for a few 1000 seconds to be more accurate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/today.shtml
http://www.npl.co.uk/time/bulletins/index.html
These are your best info points

Daytime is the best time for using the full accuracy of Droitwich when given
a long enough period you can rely on it to a couple of parts in 10^11 these
days. It is not too bad after dark but probably an order less reliable. Sun
rise and sun set are the worst periods for ionospheric disturbance, so
lowest reliability. It should never be as much as 1Hz off as this is 5 parts
in 10^6. NPL get jittery when it goes a few parts in 10^9 , Last year the
synthersizer failed shortly after such a shift. Then it took about 4 days to
slowly get it into calibration again.

Sooooo I am afraid that looks like a receiver problem if it is still off.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK