LF: Re: RE: BBC 198kHz

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: RE: BBC 198kHz
From: "Peter Martinez" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 20:19:34 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
From G3PLX:

On seeing the report of Droitwich being off frequency, I connected up my Clicklock set-up, which enables me to measure off-air signal phase relative to GPS.

I have to run the system with no antenna in order to get Droitwich low enough in level, and that makes the measurement a little sensitive to disturbances in the shack, but this is a disturbance in both amplitude and phase, and it's quite easy to see that the few degrees wobble I am seeing in the phase is the same as the wobble in amplitude, and is not due to a systematic drift in phase. A random distrbance results in a blob on the vectorscope. A frequency error shows as an arc around the origen.

If it had been 1Hz off, I would have expected to see a change of 360 degrees PER SECOND, i.e. a full circle rotating once/sec. All I can see is a circular blob about 2% amplitude, and that's over the last 20 minutes.

I would say Droitwich is spot-on. Has anyone who saw it off frequency checked it again (since 20:00 utc) to see if it's back on frequency? Was it off frequency and it's back again, or maybe it was never off.

73
Peter