LF: RE: Keeping the smoke in

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Keeping the smoke in
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:52:37 -0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 16:54:13 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
...The voltage will be E=I*X, in this case the I is about 30 amps and X is
near to 200 ohms so E= 6000 volts. I have seen actual arcing when the
spacing or insulation was inadequate...

Dear Warren, LF Group,

Yes, but what I mean is, voltage is a differential thing. All parts of the
transformer primary are no more than a few hundred V with respect to ground.
There will be several kV difference in voltage between the terminals of the
tuning C, but nothing obviously preventing you from connecting one of those
terminals, or another point on the loop to the TX ground, and putting the
transformer secondary in series with the loop at that point, where it too
will be almost at ground potential - the maximum difference in voltage
across any part of the transformer is then more-or-less the TX output
voltage. You could put the transformer at a point on the loop where the loop
potential was high w.r.t. ground, it would work the same as far as driving
the loop is concerned, but then a large voltage would be present between
primary and secondary, and at the moment I can't think of an advantage to
doing that. Maybe I am missing some obvious thing?
Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU