Re: LF: Re: Colour palette, SNR, BW

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Colour palette, SNR, BW
From: Wolf DL4YHF <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:45:17 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:46:32 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim and group,

Jim wrote:

Funnily enough, I tried something very similar with Spectrum Lab a while
ago - the palette up_down.pal attached is more or less what Andy described.
But I found the effect to be rather counter-intuitive, with strong signals
"punching holes" in the waterfall display. I settled on having a progression
blue-red-yellow-light green-white, as in the attachment jim.pal, which I
have been happy with ever since.

Thanks Jim ... I have added your palette to the "palettes" subdirectory now. I have taken the liberty to rename the files to:

jim_black_blue_red_green_white and
jim_up_down .

The difference in the "up_down" palette only becomes obvious if the "contrast" slider is set to a moderate level. Otherwise, you may not see the point where the white region enters the "sunset" area and slowly turns black again.

The new version is available on my website now. But for LF applications, not much inside SpecLab has changed. Only for those using image-cancelling direct conversion receivers (with I/Q input to the soundcard), it may be simpler to use because there is an easier-to-use method to compensate phase- and amplitude errors in the I- and Q- branch.

Best regards,
Wolf DL4YHF .