Re: LF: Trans Atlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Trans Atlantic
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:55:32 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Our behaviour now may have reprecussions in those "corridor
negotiations at Geneva."  Considering the fragile state of global
politics and the sensibilities of some nations, any unilateral
behavoiur on the part of a couple of us may turn the favour away from
our common intent of a world wide 2200m amatuer band.
Remember the primary purpose in THEIR eyes, for our experiments, is
that we must prove that we won't create problems either
electromagneticly OR politically.
Scott, VE7TIL

I was involved with negotiations between the RSGB and the UK licensing authority for many years, both as a volunteer and a member of staff, and agree entirely with Scott's comments.

My experience is that authorities are happy to encourage experimentation, provided there is no impact on other services. What they do not like is amateurs taking advantage and bending the rules, or seeking loopholes in the rules. The reference to "corridor negotiations" is accurate at national and international level, and relies on trust between the parties. This trust is damaged by unilateral action and 'boat rocking' by individuals. Patience is the keyword - responsible use of a small concession is often followed by a larger concession. Most facilities we take for granted now (including most of our bands) were illegal once.

Mike, G3XDV
http://lf.apersonalguide.co.uk