RE: LF: Loading Coils

To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Loading Coils
From: Andy <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:46:29 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Its not just young electronics engineers who know nothing about inductors. I work with a number of middle aged ones (well, 30 - 50 anyway) who also know next to nothing about inductors, wire antennas, or even radio communications. A couple of them are world experts in the fields of radar and radar countermeasures too!

Also, when I mentioned radiative and reactive fields to a so-called antenna expert here, he looked blank, then had to stop and think. Appears his 'expertise' really just relates to running antenna contracts with several commercial concerns.

The standards of electronics taught in universities, especially as regards basic theory (rather than easier to teach software modelling), is very bad, and getting still worse - some graduates can't even apply ohms law to a practical situation.

Andy

I would have thought that as most of the losses were in the coil a
bigger current improvement would have been achieved.

I share my office with some young electronics engineers and was
surprised that they know very little about RF inductors or Q factor.
It must be a dying art !