RE: LF: Loading Coils

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Loading Coils
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:16:37 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
That's a problem with calculating without understand what is calculated, often they just put in a number of figures in a formula and just accept whatever comes out even if it is absurd : In the few month between graduating and being called for the military service I assisted in giving exercises to the first year student (18 years). During one of the tests they had to calculate the mass of an electron and one of the students did it all correct except that at the certain point he swapped a minus sign to plus and the result was at 10exp+28 gram instead of 10exp-28 gram. I told him that he had made a minor mistake but that he should have noticed it right away.He couldn't correct the mistake until I asked if it was possible that the mass of an electron would exceed the mass of the earth.

73, Rik ON7YD

I must confess that after all these years i do find that my calculator with
all the built-in formulae (ohms law included) has made me lazy but maybe the
skill is in knowing what to calculate and when

Pat g4gvw