Re: Re[2]: LF: Loading Coils

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Re[2]: LF: Loading Coils
From: captbrian <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:32:38 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
A specific part of engineering course at Cambridge in the 50"s was a clear grasp of the order of magnitude of things, it has stood me in good stead in all matters from ham radio thro' yacht navigation quite apart from earning a living..

bryan  G3GVB

Quoting John Rabson <[email protected]>:

On 19/11/2004 at 08:13 Andy wrote:

>When it comes to calculations, the most useful ability is not to be able
>caculate it exactly, caculator or no, but to quickly be able to estimate a
>ball
>park answer or approximation.
>
>Who needs to know that  22uH at 137kHz has 18.93 ohms reactance.
>
>Its quicker to think  " a bit more than 20 times a bit less than 0.14,
>times
> 6-and-a-bit
>...    is  2.8 times 6-and-a-bit ,  so call it 18 ohms"
>
>And they don't teach that in schools - and never have done, to my
>knowledge!
>
>Andy  G4JNT
I seem to recall a telecommunications professor (Ken Cattermole?) who
expected his MSc students at least to have a feel for whether a result was of
the right order of magnitude.

John G3PAI