Re: LF: Timing GPS

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Timing GPS
From: "jannsen" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:18:54 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Stewart Bryant schrieb:
If GPS is not an option, then NTP (clock timing via the Internet)
might be an alternative.

There is some info on accuracy at

http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-algo.htm#AEN2361

- Stewart G3YSX

Hi Stewart es All,
I do some PC clock synchronizations via internet using the program
"Time Watch", downloaded from http://www.blue-series.de. the NTP server
transmitting the synchronization signals must be in your vicinity.
it is not usefull telling us that their timer is <1uS accurate (in my case dirived from GPS receivings) if there is a long wire to the server. it`s something else if you would know the phase fault on the line and can correct it in some way.

reading the PC clock in mSec from the window "Time Decoder" of SpecLab
of one PC with the clock (motherboard and sound card) permanent synchronized by the standard time signal station DCF77 and at the same time reading the mSec from the screen of the other PC just clocking by the signals from the internet server, I believe I see
a difference, DCF77 in front.

be that as it may, we should reach an agreement about what kind of synchronization we will make use of.

there is a problem in synchronizing the PC clock by DCF77 (as with other standard time signal transmitters): During lf transmittings of your own station there will be no clocking because the DCF77 receiver will be overloaded (what is it in english "zugestopft"?).

if the program "Africam" will come into fashion agn (I played with it and the SD KIT abt 20 years ago) the case is`nt as critical as it sounds: if I rember right there are two helpfull knobs, Autotrack and Aütofrequency.

BTW. if my station transmits all night long my neighbour runs into trouble with his employer: the radio alarm synchronized by DCF77 doesnt wake him (the neighbour) up.

regards
Uwe/dj8wx