LF: re EWE aerials

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re EWE aerials
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:11:43 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Tracy, the only problem I could see is that they are directional and
untuned. I suppose this could be remedied. After all Finbar has tuned a K9AY
loop to good effect, retaining its directional properties and allowing
control from the operating position. Mind you anyone who can get a 350 foot
aerial in a British back garden could probably emulate Mal's system. I think
Laurie G3AQC uses a variant of the EWE to null out Lessay Loran signals on
receive. Of course if you are tuning you dont have to bother about the
impedance, also if it is untuned I would guess it would vary a lot depending
on the ground/ vegetation underneath. Finbar has also had reasonable success
with a form of Beverage (no, not Jameson's) 900 feet long run about 5 foot
in the air down the beach. It only worked in some directions, which is odd
because a Beverage is not supposed to work at all over good ground (like
sea-water).

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]