LF: re DCF39

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: re DCF39
From: "Laurence KL1X" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:58:54 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Transpolar/TranAtlantic conditions to Europe (and the L48 states) from Alaska are still " too early" and we are probably a month before any good or better returns - I hope Im proven wrong. I hope too that the company forgets Im here and I can continue flowing amps until the leaves have fallen and it starts to snow. I think North South Paths are more open, and are "better" overall, and I was hoping to have seen the XDW beacon in Costa Rica but it tripped - I was actually quite confident I would have detected it.

If I take DCF39 as a very rough baseline we have only just seen it appear at night time on the 9th Sept for the first time since losing it in Spring, and I can only just detect it at dot 60, we will probably need to get an improvement in propagation paths by some 40-45dBs for Europeans to be seen and maybe heard. Do NOT let this stop you for looking for that DX - as Ive found out strange things happen.

Ive never seen CFH yet but I need to spend more time between my morse characters.

I dont know about the US East coast from here,and dont have enough empirical measurements to figure when and if Ill see Mitch et al or when they will see me. The Alaska to East Coast US path maybe more difficult than you imagine - the distances to NY and NC are comparable with Europe and still hit the Auroral Zones for most of the time. (Yep I beam NE to get to most of the NE US States).

After discussions with Alan and others it looks like signals from Temperate climes into the Equatorial regions (North South and SE/NW so far) are good or better than imagined/envisaged and that only local QRN is the limiting factor. Even so the FFT programs such as Arog/Spectran really do help. There are seasonal factors of course and, as ever, my comments realte from short periods of listening , in the summer, with limited real estate and less than perfect set ups at the remote ends. If there was one things Id do is turn off the AGC especially if your in the tropics!

Good luck Gary

Laurence KL1X