LF: Re: Re: re EWE aerials

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: re EWE aerials
From: "Hugh M0WYE" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:57:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan, et Group,
The Services Textbook of Radio (1958) Volume 5, (page 336) says that "a
Beverage, or wave aerial, is a straight wire several wavelengths long,
usually carried by insulators on telephone poles at about 30 feet above the
ground..."
Further on it says "Such aerials should be at least one wavelength long, so
that for the very low frequencies involved, several miles of line are
required. They are therefore only suitable when a large area of poor
conductivity ground is available."
The method of operation proposed is that there is a degree of tilt of (1 to
4 degrees depending on ground type) to the wavefront passing over ground so
that there is a horisontal component which will produce an induced emf in
the wire.
If I read the explanation right, the degree of tilt is greater over poor
conductivity ground, and this gives 4 times as much emf as over good ground.

I don't see that 300m of wire can really be referred to as a Beverage,
representing only about 1/7th of a wavelength.

73
Hugh M0WYE