LF: Re: Re: Re: re EWE aerials

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: re EWE aerials
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:53:46 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Hugh, thanks for that I don't have that book but that is what I have
"believed" to be a Beverage. However being cantankerous ( as a G3 I am
entitled to that condition ;-))  ) It occured to me that like your book a
lot of these text-books are simply repeating the content of older tomes, and
possibly perpetuating some myths. It does not say why the aerial has to be
longer than a wavelength....is it just the case that it needs that length to
really show the effects? I can see this in directionality as longer aerials
have narrower main lobes. But I would have thought that a travelling wave
aerial should work (to some extent) whatever its length since it is
aperiodic, may be the longer it is the bigger the "aperture" hence the
bigger the signal-voltage at the terminals.  In fact a lot of us pick up
very big signals with aerials at 10m which are less than 100m long. I really
wonder whether anyone has done proper measurements....it is obviously
difficult. I must try and contact a ex-BT wireless man who was involved in
long-distance short-waves before the war.

Terman (1943) for instance refers to it as being between half and several
wavelengths long. He also quotes a height of 10 or 20 feet. I guess to show
directionality it would need to produce a much great voltage from the
travelling wave effect than from its low effective height as a top loaded
vertical (which would be almost omni-directional) Terman does quote a couple
of references from 1923/4 and these might be worth me ferreting out.

Another though is that since the aerial is so critically dependent upon the
slowing of the phase-front, the use of insulated wire may well nullify the
effect, by causing the velocity in the wire to be much less than that of the
wavefront.

Now, anybody got a spare 20 miles or so of old telephone pole-line in the
middle of a desert??

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]