LF: Re: Jason last night

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Jason last night
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:11:40 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Thanks for the reports on the Jason signals, glad to see that more people are having success with this mode. Also, thanks to Steinar for my first report from Norway. It looks like the recent spate of solar activity has messed up propagation, though.

I had a bit of a problem with the TX last night; I noticed the output was fluctuating intermittently, which has been caused by corona on the antenna in the past. But after spending some time out in the rain, I could see nothing unusual. Eventually, it turned out that the problem was due to the synthesizer frequency jumping around, and for the last hour or so I used a different signal source. Fortunately, it does not seemed to have prevented people copying the signal. The problem with the synthesizer eventually turned out to be a wire in the PSU that someone had forgotten to solder on, but had been more or less making a contact for the last 20 years!

I will give the beacon a rest tonight; if anybody would like to try different times and/or frequencies, please let me know.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU