LF: Re: Jason test

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Jason test
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 13:02:13 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim M0BMU said
------------------------------
Looking at http://www.lightningstorm.com/ls2/gpg/lex1/mapdisplay_free.jsp
it seems that the thunderstorms in the US have finally died out for the
time being, so I will run the Jason beacon again tonight, in the hope of
catching some long-distance propagation before the ionosphere goes on
strike (and assuming there is some electricity available by then!). I hope
to run the beacon from 2200 - 0300 utc, and frequency will be 137.500kHz
again. Any reports will be very welcome.
--------------------------------

I had QSYed up from 73kHz and was going to transmit QRSS (well did for a
short while on 137.32)
and noticed a big signal on 137.5.
I didn't have a copy of Jason so I loaded the latest edition and it worked
perfectly first time, within 20mins of installation.
That's how S/W should work!
Jim's signal was very large so I reduced it by first switching over to the
HF minibeam then switching in first the AIP then 20dBs of attenuation. Still
perfect copy.

I returned the receiver to full sensitivity and switched the antenna out
altogether (at the antenna selector coax switch) I received a signal with
lots of errors but got a full call M0BMU.

I then went back to the minibeam and reduced sensitivity described above and
further reduced the signal while monitoring it in Argo. It appeared that
Jason works very well, no matter how weak, provided it is not corrupted by
noise. The QRN was not too bad last night but there was a lot of spurious
stuff from the Luxemburg effect. Under these conditions last night Jason
performed better than QRSS3 but not quite as well as QRSS10 in terms
readability.

Another impressive bit of SW Alberto.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO