LF: Re: Guy ropes

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Guy ropes
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:18:44 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 9:36 AM
Subject: LF: Guy ropes

Yet again the wind has taken my LF aerial down.  It's always the same way
with polypropolene rope just not strong enough, either loosing its
strength
though UV exposure or in last night's case sheer lack of tensile strength.

Any suggestions as to a stronger guy rope - the rope goes up though a tree
and over the fine branches at the top of the tree.  Thus, there is a fair
degree of movement at times.

73 John, G3WKL
Hi John
Since I live here near a fishing port there is such a variety of ropes used
by the fishing/yachting/marine industry thats its a question of take your
pick for antenna mast applications. Normally I use a synthetic poly woven
type diameter about 15 mm for guying towers in excess of 60 ft high. For
tree work I use 10mm of the same type and do not have any problems. The
trees are high beech and sycamore and fairly stable even at the 60-70 ft
level but some movement in a gale condition. The marine variety rope is
probably what you want. It is meant for a tough environment at sea. The
ropes come in rolls usually 100/200 metres.With the heavier rope there is
quite a sag be careful not to pull the tree over !!!!
or the chimney off the house !!
Regarding the odd spam appearing on the reflector it is easy enough to use
the Delete key by the end user, the % is so small it is hardly worth getting
too concerned about. Like junk mail I would rather do without it but I dont
intend losing any sleep over it.
73 and hope you dont get blown away this weekend with the gales, not too bad
up this way.
de Mal/G3KEV