LF: Guy ropes

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Guy ropes
From: "mike.dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:40:14 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

WE0H wrote:
> Take a large rope and put it up in the tree over a limb and bring it
back
> down to the ground level. Tie the two ends of the large rope together so
you
> can pull the rope up with one side and pull it back down with the other
> side. Attach a pulley to this rope. Run your antenna support rope
through
> the pulley and pull the pulley up with the big rope. Now pull your
antenna
> up with the rope that goes through the pulley and tie a heavy weight to
the
> antenna support rope. Now all the tree movement will just move the rope
> through the pulley and not cut the antenna support rope.

André replied
To support my HF long-wire, I have been using a similar arrangement here
but, in
addition, I have connected a spring "in series" with the pulley, to absorb
small
shocks. This arrangement has served me well for the last 3 years.

I use both of these methods, using a smooth metal hoop instead of a pulley,
but it's the same principle. The secret is to avoid anything that gradually
saws the rope. The springs on my antenna are bungee cords used for tying
suitcases. Also, one of my masts is very springy. It all looks a bit
frightening as it moves around in the wind, but so far it has stayed up. The
bars that separate the three parallel top wires have been twisted, however.

My neighbour has lost part of his fence and another has lost a tree. The
town is strewn with fallen branches. Several local roads are partly blocked
by fallen trees.

I may regret writing this as the wind is getting stronger again.

Mike, G3XDV
http://www.lf.thersgb.net