Re: LF: Guy ropes

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Guy ropes
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:14:32 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Any suggestions as to a stronger guy rope - the rope goes up though a tree
and over the fine branches at the top of the tree.  Thus, there is a fair
degree of movement at times.

73 John, G3WKL

Dear John, LF Group,

At my previous QTH I had an antenna like this - In the end I decided the best bet was to provide a weak link. Where the rope going over the tree came to ground level, instead of tying it directly to an anchor point, it was fastened with a link of fairly thin wire which would take the tension normally, but break if the tree was thrashing around in a gale. This allowed several metres of rope to pay out and slacken the antenna wire. When the gale stopped, the rope was pulled tight again and the link replaced - this only happened a couple of times in a few years, and saved having to get the rope over the tree again.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU