Re: LF: Spam via reflector

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spam via reflector
From: "Stewart Bryant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 15:48:21 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
There are two approaches to requiring registration. Either it's
automatic, or it's manual controlled by the list owner.

If it is controlled by the list owner, this can be quite a
lot of work and there is a delay waiting action. Remember it's
not just new joiners that have to be managed, it's ISP
changes as well.

If it is an automatic process, then the spammers have programs
to do that as well.

As far as I am concerned, I am used to the delete key, and
I vote for whatever is easiest for John.

Stewart G3YSX

John W Gould wrote:
It's a few months ago that we looked into this and I can't instantly recall
the downside, but it either added an administration burden and/or affected
those who access the reflector with more than one e-mail address.

Unless I see postings opposing changes in the next two or three days I'll
discuss making configuration changes to reflector with the Sysop.

My own view is that I am so used to dealing with spam on my e-mail accounts
that removing it at source from this reflector doesn't make a significant
enough improvement to overcome the disadvantages of a re-configured
reflector.  However, I am quite content to go with the majority view!

73 John, G3WKL