Re: LF: Spam via reflector

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spam via reflector
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:36:15 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 10/27/02 10:47:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< There are two approaches to requiring registration. Either it's
automatic, or it's manual controlled by the list owner.

If it is controlled by the list owner, this can be quite a
lot of work and there is a delay waiting action. Remember it's
not just new joiners that have to be managed, it's ISP
changes as well. >>

All true. But automatic or manual registration is not really pertinent to the issue of allowing NON-subscribers to post. This is a simple configuration setting in majordomo.

I only vaguely remember the last discussion of why this is permitted, but it seems to me that one point did have something to do with people wanting to post messages while at work or otherwise away from their home Internet accounts. I can see the merit of one-way communication if one is away on a DXpedition and is temporarily using someone else's e-mail to report on operating schedules, for instance. But that is a rather rare use compared to the amount of spam lately. (There are also alternatives, such as sending e-mail to one of the regular members of the list and asking them to forward to it.)

Other than that, can anyone think of times when one-way communication to the list serves a useful purpose?

73,
John Davis