Re: LF: Spam via reflector

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spam via reflector
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:11:04 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 10/25/02 4:33:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< Perhaps the time has come to change this reflector into a 'subscribers only can post' system. Despite objections raised in the past most other mailing lists operate that way and it certainly would kill these time wasting mails. >>

This proposal has my endorsement, for what it's worth.

I do not see the point of allowing people to post to this or any other list, who themselves are unable to read what has been posted there. Not only does it encourage promulgation of spam, that's about the only thing it CAN do in practice.

Who can truly contribute to any discussion if they are unaware of what is currently going on in that discussion? Would we, in our parliaments or legislatures or general assemblies, willingly elect representatives who only show up long enough to deliver their own speech and then go home without hearing what any of the other members say?

There is nothing restrictive or exclusive about who is permitted to subscribe to this list. So I say, let those who sign up to listen be also the ones permitted to speak.

Regards,
John Davis