LF: 73kHz Beacon

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz Beacon
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:11:34 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Laurie and John and all

> Well I have achieved what I set out to do,so would be happy to stop the
> beacon now if anyone wants to have a go. But I am aware that there are
> others who were looking for my signal, Dex for example.Also there
> propagation issues to investigate ,for example why did'nt Dex see the
> signal,and will conditions hold up much longer. So I am quite happy to
> beacon again for a night or two,unless anyone has any other ideas ?

You were visible last night from my start at 2300 to about 0500. The best
period of copy was the second one that I posted, roughly centered on 0100,
and there were "ups and downs" all evening. But the amazing thing was that
you never faded out until 0500. All of the IDs were copyable during the
whole session. I suppose that barring any unusual solar activity, this
might
continue for a while.

I will be around during my evening hours through next Monday, and would be
happy to post a message around 0000 as to whether you are visible here, as
an aid to others who may wish to try. I'll just follow your posts about
whether you are operating.

I will transmit tonight on 73kHz provided I can get my act together. I have
spent the day winding a second booster coil for 73kHz but as yet it is
untested. From previous experience I don't anticipate too many problems -
and I have several hours before 2300. If any unforeseen problems arise I
will post on this reflector.

With Argo set to 30 second dots the screen bandwidth is 72.397kHz to
72.403kHz if Laurie's signal is in the centre at 72.401kHz. I have allocated
myself the frequency of 72.399kHz and I will be using 30 second dots on QRSS
(not DFCW). There is plenty of space in the screen bandwidth for anyone else
who wants to join.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>