RE: LF: Transmitting tests on 137.790

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Transmitting tests on 137.790
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:16:12 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Peter - et al

For some of us scientific experiements and measurement / understanding
of the propagation medium is of far greater interest than merely trying
to make QSOs.   To me, the idea of being able to actually see
ionospheric effects on skywave signals at LF, which to my knowledge have
never before been characterised, is more exciting than being the first
to make a two way QSO.  Previously, as Walter said, skywave was just a
nuisance that they tried to eliminate.
If two operators at each end happen to be awake and operating at the
right time that an ionospheric bubble forms (or whatever is up there)
with a high power transmitter and big antenna, then they'll make the
QSO.  But no one will know the mechanism by which the QSO was achieved,
apart from brute force,  until it has happened several times and been
mapped out. Meanwhile we will continue with proper controlled scientific experiments
at low powers where Larry's signal appears to be receivable 100% of the
time.  Then with the knowledge we can attack the medium in a controlled
way.

Anyone can join in if they have suitable receiving hardware - all it
wants is a willingness to build and understand new and modern hardware;
a quality sadly lacking in many of today's radio amateurs.
Particularly unfortunate as there is a huge range of devices that make
homebrewing of quite advanced equipment trivial - and finding the
necessary data is not even the trial it once was, everything is
available on line.

Andy  G4JNT