Re: LF: Transmitting tests on 137.790

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Transmitting tests on 137.790
From: [email protected]
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:21:17 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 1/18/01 6:22:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< To me, the idea of being able to actually see
ionospheric effects on skywave signals at LF, which to my knowledge have
never before been characterised, is more exciting than being the first
to make a two way QSO.  Previously, as Walter said, skywave was just a
nuisance that they tried to eliminate.  >>

Not so! The IRE Proceedings and other literature of the 1920s and 30s were replete with studies characterizing skywave propagation on LF, as it was realized very early on that skywave is both the dominant DX mode at night and a factor that must be accounted for in the daytime. More of a daytime factor than MF, actually, and not one which could be dealt with as easily on LF by building ever-taller towers.

This is one of those cases where we _are_ re-inventing the wheel--and yet, I believe it is still worth doing. Most of us no longer have access to the older data; and it was generated using much higher power levels, which could potentially obscure interesting effects that we might be able to exploit.

73,
John