LF: Earthing

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Earthing
From: "Martin M5CIX" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 18:36:25 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Well the RX loop is functioning and the TX is almost there so the issue of
antennas is coming to the forefront of my mind. In particular is the
earthling arrangements for which I would like advice.  It is anticipated
that the antenna will be a loaded vertical of around 8 to 10 meters with a
top T one leg about 3 meters west the other 5 meters east.constructed out of
2.5 mm copper.

As the ground is very wet at the moment it is a good time to bang in some
earth rods.  Here (Pangbourne) if you dig down through sandy soil for about
2 meters you come to gravel and then chalk. The water table in summer is at
least 2 meters down and the soil becomes very dry.  The garden is about 7
meters wide.

Any ideas on how to archive an good earth relevant to the efficiency of the
aerial.  Have contemplated driving copper pipe down at the corners and
considered driving them at an angle of 30 degrees under neighbours gardens.
Could lay radials just under surface but in the summer they will be in very
dry earth.

Ideas please

Martin M5CIX