LF: Re: Re Loomis? & ... 12.47 Hz

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Re Loomis? & ... 12.47 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2019 22:31:41 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1552167104; bh=VixqCVJORoGyGivEB75CoHiDoOKYMKIg8HhjYwCB3Ks=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=W2p0YRW+Us1fjqvXRul3pC2YL8iEcuRL/e2hOhMWlKspmv2ycY6er1HU1Oxdg1s0C IyuGGYyjtY9UKdnyzQVD/nupqnRPy7coiS3Ih5ejqu8MmMw+GolP8JOlE9HS/pbiR6 xc3reGCgelWHDJhsFEqJmg/UzsPZWw1Hij/X6LrVfloPYv88EvOWRxKBmE/65TfghZ SPhEQA+fn/xPS0aYn/ivDa2FDA/ORI0w0P74DJO55LH15pTp4TDSPoVLaem07O5NbP OUNUN9TQKQdsS4NAyAXNrY7bjFQjoLA1FLtmnMwTBaoCUMMnNYcoaqUjIRqOmmMd1L M0B02neK1a6RQ==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim,

I hope you don't mind that i'd like to share the email with the reflector, because i've a thought that might be interesting.

In my view, the Loomis experiment it is rather the detection of a changing current (charge per time) on the RX site. The changing current is coming from a change in the static electric field, caused by the shortcutted 'TX' antenna. Something like a current divider.

In 2010/2011 i've done VLF transmissions on my own, using a 300m vertical kite antenna (having a special licence for that altitude). The antenna capacity was about 1.5 nF. During an experiment in the summer time there was a short moment when the vertical wire was floating. It quickly charged up to some kV, which was quite noticable when i catched and touched the wire then!! Since that time i carefully kept the wire grounded during such experiments.
So, it means that the wire charged up, so there must be some continuous charge flowing onto the wire and, if the wire would be grounded permanently, you could probably measure a more or less stable current, i guess it would be some 100 uA.
Now imagine someone else would rise a grounded kite in a few meters distance. This would certainly affect the current flowing in my kite wire. The farer both 'antennas', the lower expressed the effect will be and the higher the antennas, the stronger it will be expressed.

I think the effect would be much better expressed by measuring the voltage across a 1 MOhm resistor instead, which could be done by using a scope and some overvoltage protection!
Actually an interesting question: In the summer time, which DC voltage could be measured over a 1 MOhm resistor when connecting to a large E field antenna and ground?
And, a next step: If i let my antenna charge up (floating) and then discharge it in exact time intervals, say each second, then i should see something at 1 Hz on a suitable receiver. This would already come close to the experiment i'v done. I'm just replacing the 'natural charge source' by a high voltage power supply and modulate that voltage (with a sine wave, not rectangular).

So, to answer your question, i think that Loomis experiment was not dedicated ELF, it was rather a broad-band spectrum that was radiated, since the charged antenna was discharged immediately. For a real ELF transmission i would say that the carrier frequency has to be at ELF, not the modulating frequency. OK here you might say the carrier frequency is 0 and it is AM modulated...

Try to repeat the experiment! Use smaller antennas and shorter distances. Could be interesting :-) Rise two 10m high wires in 10m distance in an open field. Connect one of them to a scope (1 MOhm input resistance), protect the input with a glow lamp. Keep the other wire floating. Select 1 second/div. If there is a thunderstorm coming and you can see a rising DC level on the scope, then do a shortcircuit on the other wire. I bet you will see the voltage dropping on the scope.

73, Stefan