Re: VLF: in VK?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: in VK?
From: Dimitrios Tsifakis <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 07:14:45 +1100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to :content-transfer-encoding; bh=/z2lIY8JEFgrwFSaAJtPKUkeKFyCl5RIZHXlcMpzers=; b=cj1orbHKp89uJ+Jcfx2quKOn/yCAVLwkWBKqTLgIogNEUUXE3jrUqt/wbtOwosBt2o mgFX1WmOE9CZH2EVCAr5Tr60cHVKDkPmiYUQDJTcvQ96PZmMOlKCBPKGA88u+dgANX90 q79gGg2d33ZqfLwYXRFIYqhu3lDj7E4HvN+1pM3zAdR7v21GNRPOHWZp6hddauVoQ9am hANzIJ5NwS4N4tJb2JtqDVRGuhWvKEYInMqs8WI7mN2f5GWr2GngVVi0A5OSJyOwmJbx viiO4Kg461hEuexP/aiML09aAIFGI1oo59s8SvgG3qlcoxlRCeS682/19ms6I8Cg2sxL tQSg==
References: <D98C1CCC49324084BCF225E22F521809@DELL4> <1UTCTNxG9H.5T3bfQF3xD0@optiplex980-pc> <[email protected]> <CANA3B6VBpQ0G92wmOniO3GvedBbaOoBuMuFPW1Fs743B8VCvpw@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <CAKvcm2f7mY5Z1B5z99Aspv6cTjLeYMymBpB6rJ-VcpzDGvtJzg@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <CAKvcm2cw=WdsSt=0j9vd943pyBs1VaDgqJ0O3V92oXbJ0tPVZQ@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]> <CAKvcm2d8PpYeQUyRJ8Kw-0raLwJ_tU8Zqmd-VFqmSJDvajgqnA@mail.gmail.com> <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
G'day Stefan and Edgar,

My house is on QF44OX00OR and the property extends to QF44NX (50 acres
or 200,000 m^2). I do have permission from some neighbours to lay
wires into their properties, so an extra large (over 1km) ground wire
is entirely doable but not at this point in time. The reference loop
is from the shed, about 100 metres south of the house, to the tractor
shed. I have mains in the shed and I also have a 200 W audio linear
amplifier to get things started. I can build a class-E kilowatt if
necessary later. I like the roughly north-south loop configuration as
it favours many large cities (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Tassie)
and most importantly Canberra which is only 30 km to the South. I will
try to get some signals received in Canberra before I start asking
people further away to have a listen. I currently have assembled an XO
clocked DDS controlled by an arduino to do the initial tests but later
when I decide to go QRSSSSSI can dig out and use the old rubidium
clock as a reference for extra stability. For receiving I use a 24
bit, 192 kHz USB sound card and spectrum lab (thanks Wolf!). The
antenna I will use for receive is one of those monster ferrite rods.
Amplification may not even be necessary, the signals I get when the
antenna is tuned seem to be already quite good. Once I have a decent
RX antenna I think I will start gifting these rods (I have a few) to
interested amateurs in the region and help them get started with
receiving on VLF. Make a small army of receivers, that would make life
much easier when evaluating antennas!

Hey, you should document your experiments even if it is a summary of
the activities and nothing more. The list is great but perhaps we are
missing out on many other potentially interested people that may have
not discovered the list. You are clearly not lazy having achieved so
much on MF and below :-)

I have played with ground loops before and had some good results in
LF. Once I establish a reference system, I can compare antennas
including ground loops. Unlike Europe where you have plenty of people
around you, I have to do both the TXing and the RXing and that
requires effort and time. The latter is a very scarce resource!

Anyway, looks like a nice day today to do some more outdoor work. We
had lightning storms and plenty of rain the past few days, so I
haven't made any progress.

73, Dimitris VK2COW

Στις Τρί, 5 Φεβ 2019 στις 8:09 μ.μ., ο/η DK7FC <[email protected]> έγραψε: