Re: ***SPAM***Re: VLF: GOTA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ***SPAM***Re: VLF: GOTA
From: Wolfgang Büscher <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 20:33:50 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Jim,

Of course the "20 meter long tube" wasn't a serious suggestion. I wouldn't "seriously" transmit there anyway, and you are right, it will not "radiate" more than a few femto-femtowatts (not sure what the proper tech prefix would be). The larger / longer the structure, the better (I think) and if you manage to place such a beast between two skyscrapers with massive steel construction (so the mag field has something to couple into), the signal may even be detectable a bit further way.

Similar like yourself, I have tied a couple of bar magnets to an electric motor (from a cassette tape deck, with mechanic RPM stabilisation built inside) and was pleased to detect it over 50 meters away. But not good enough for a ground-penetrating 'beacon system' for caving, which was one of my hobbies in days long gone by.

If we'd compare this with a ferrite bar antenna, length (of the magnet or bar) would be more important than thickness.

73,
  Wolf DL4YHF .