Re: ***SPAM***Re: VLF: GOTA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ***SPAM***Re: VLF: GOTA
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 00:37:51 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:reply-to:message-id:to:subject:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding; bh=8rA34fmFtICXAGx+PQRMQrJqlmFjh+C8Zcd5tJTt1/g=; b=m7jb1XNQVXZiFU7B2vF2wGe72ZwBh71iQdE/joNZ4Ficc7Spk0cl7wDlce9fC9wfyo 8q5Fr4fHVZN4olMoFHVFoZuEwu5W7oPijSL23uWwDlbn+zMvyjWMRK3SOcn14Eokthea OKnAodiBfa3blC+GrDOIPSiMwDD1xfKtvnQj6JsLjBYUviGRTvCB6U7itksmtLWSbnpm lRDpwTJW4tnNHM0r4dZjDiXocr6iKsP0j8wfvDryomrY9oJS0BvZ/q9Fqt338ayXBKC9 5tyFBpU859AJ/4xy3YZo4hdMWOxI2S3lXaLv8rYuQ+8aW5DBNCgqn1+G/ml16HwpswUq Tb4A==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Jim,
 As an old, but probably now politically incorrect UK
comedian used to say used to say, "Oooh, you are awful, but I like
you".

Good  to  see  cerebral  aptitude balanced with a good sense of humour
still  here ;)

> Hello Wolf,

> If I am treading on anyone's intellectual property please advise.
> Years ago I built a version of what you mentioned, and I don't operate it
> often because of fear of kinetic effects :-)
> The stack of 3" diameter 1.5" thick magnets is epoxy encapsulated and
> rotates at 20 Hz inside of an enclosure with three 1/2" thick cabinet-grade
> plywood walls on all six sides of the enclosure. It is designed for several
> orders of magnitude safety margin against kinetic effects.
> It's lots of fun but I wouldn?t recommend it to anyone without access to
> lots of sandbags.

> I have a question:
> I did not strive for a high aspect ratio (I did not strive for a tube that
> is long compared to diameter) on the basis that at 1 Hz to 20 Hz the far
> field is irrelevant to most of us, and in the near field, only the volume of
> a good neodymium magnet matters:

> B  = (B_of_magnet x volume_of_magnet)/(2  x  pi  x  r^3)

> Does this seem right? Size matters but length doesn't?

> On a related topic, I don't want to contradict your thought below, but I
> don't think that a 1.6 Hz transmitter that has the range of an ELF
> guard-rail transmitter would be made with magnets; because:
> To have such a range, a 1.6 Hz experimenter would technically need to file
> for human-subjects authorization unless the magnetic device was operated in
> the wilderness, but we read in this thread that the 1.6 Hz device is safe
> and convenient to use.

> 73,

> Jim AA5BW

Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]