Re: LF: Porcelain insulators on rope guys for a vertical antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Porcelain insulators on rope guys for a vertical antenna
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 13:30:56 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Stan: For what it is worth, I found a piece of 3/16" nylon covered polyester line removed from my HF vertical after 15 years of outdoor exposure. The line was dry and some dried mold present on the nylon jacket.

My electronic  megger indicated over 20 Giga-ohms at 2500VDC test voltage, even at 1 inch separation along the line. Then I wetted the line with tap water. Resistance fell to 1/2 megaohm at 500VDC test voltage over a 6 inch span of the line.

Perhaps if you live in the Arizona desert with low humidity most of the year, it may not matter much. Would you rather radiate energy, or use it to dry out your guy lines?  For the few extra $, I would stick with the guy line insulators.

73, Mike wa3tts