Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms

To: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: W1VD amp help - more waveforms
From: Chris Wilson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 15:23:52 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=date:from:message-id:to:subject:in-reply-to:references:mime-version :content-transfer-encoding; bh=zYia8MDSYvPJPtas9lX3dq3wV8rdFw31UWVxgDHkPi0=; b=bouqOvpb5oKQ4dLadY2nlCOtuGFkE6ZCXCAXMuP9ZSjLT+i9OyW/c9ZDZ00u/FqF7V eSMOFUnwZsz+1s0iewWCI22VgjjXi47iHN1wqnKmQqvHlt3Bm+iskGbqWfElJQt1hY7F QJU+vAlMMWwnAc6fECRn0iL9rVbjCWDO/ERp158jZUbzWkbjR3chInQbsbe9jpwVpFQ2 333oRLDdrbyjftFTTaXxLIlUFc85yR/fUbeh5Yt5/pmMhhu8+pbxyYj8okti+ZboU1ba YjbHMTZjAWoUnFMe2dQ/z7+0NgmjllwOWApdBCLmePVHSEvsF08neCbHJ5eNHR1m3DHF eWFA==
Sender: [email protected]

Hello N1BUG, Hello Paul, by way of comparison my home made PCB is
attached right by the FET's by copper wire 90 degree angles, soldered
to ground plane of PCB and ground plane of the main amp double sided
board. Teflon co-ax (probably overkill, but i like soldering Teflon
stuff as it doesn't melt!) lead between output socket of main amp
board to input socket of LPF is about 2 inces long. If I get chance
tonight I'll scope the drains with amp direct to dummy load, no LPF as
a comparison you could look at.

I  would  tack  those  1uF ceramics on and see what happens. My output
transformer  is  not  as  pretty  as  yours and no huge care was taken
winding  it, in fact it looks pretty ugly ;) I used pure copper, multi
strand  heavy speaker cable for the primary and normal UK 15 Amp single
core mains wire for the secondary. Apart from short gate leads I can't
imagine  that at 136khz PCB design is that critical. If it were me I'd
shorten  the  gate leads even if the PCB was just hanging on the other
leads  with  a  hefty wire grounding it to the main board, and shorten
the  co-ax  to the LPF, but mostly I'd try those decoupling caps! They
made  the  biggest  difference  for  me,  including  helping stop any odd
oscillations.

I  remember trying a different driver board and using about 4 inch long
leads to the gates. the patterns were terrible and initially I blamed
the  different  driver  design.  I then mimicked the short leads of the
W1VD one and the results were fine. *BUT* the poor waveforms were also
apparent on the gates, not just the drains. Try those de-coupling caps! :)

I  can't  see  if  you used sockets for the IC's, but if you rebuild I
suggest  you  do  use  them  as  a FET bang can sometimes take out the
driver IC and once the other one, too

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[email protected]